What Coaching Is…
- Coaching is about you – your goals, your learning, and your growth.
- Coaching is about learning – rather than teaching. Your coach uses coaching techniques such as active listening, open questions, encouragement, challenging bits, but always remains supportive and non-judgemental.
- Coaching is about action – your action. Each session you will determine 1-3 actions steps you will take before the next session. You may be surprised how quickly you progress toward your goals.
- Coaching is about all of you – holistically. Your coach will support you as you change and grow.
What Coaching Isn’t…
- It’s not therapy. Whilst therapy focuses on the past to bring healing and unblock a person to move ahead, Coaching is future and action-oriented, for people who are basically clear of psychological and emotional issues.
- It’s not mentoring. Mentors are experts in a particular field who seek to pass on their expertise to a person. Mentors provide knowledge, advice, guidance, correction, and encouragement to people who are newer and junior.
- It’s not training. In training, the trainer sets the agenda. Change comes from outside the participant, via the trainer. In coaching, you set the agenda. Coaches use adult learning principles of self-discovery to motivate change from within you.
- It’s not authoritarian. Your coach will push you beyond what you might think you can do, but will always be supportive. The responsibility to decide and act is yours.